Ship building on Erina Creek

George Howard: The exact location of the original George Howard shipyard on Erina Creek is unknown. It is believed that George, a former sawyer and labourer, commenced shipbuilding in the 1870s at a site on the northern bank of Erina Creek, on land known as Kemp's Grant. TheMystery was the first registered vessel built by Howard in 1877. Mystery was sold to various owners over the years, and finally foundered off Norah Head in 1892

Erina Creek shipyard: The 1888 Runnimede Estate map shows a shipbuilding yard on Erina Creek, on a spit of land adjacent to the entrance to Nunn's Creek. It appears that the Howard shipbuilders were operating from this site at least in the mid 1880s. May Howard was the next registered vessel built at the yard and launched on 8 June 1886. Officially, few registered vessels appear to have been built on Erina Creek. It is believed that at least one unregistered ketch named Flirt was constructed by George Howard. In the 1890s, Howard established a sawmill near the Erina Creek wharf in Commerce Street (now The Entrance Road).

S. S. Erina: The beautiful steamship Erina was launched at Erina Creek in 1903. Charles Dunn built the vessel at the Howard yard for Captain Thomas Childs. The Erina was a common visitor to Brisbane Water, carrying passengers and cargo. The owners of Erina deliberately fired the de-registered steamship, after it ceased its economic life had ended in Sydney Harbour sometime after 1949.

Gosford II: The last ship built at Howard's yard was the steamship Gosford II of 1911. This very popular and graceful vessel was well known in local waters. It appears to have been broken up in Iron Cove, Sydney, in the 1950s. 
George Henry Howard died on 13 June 1919, at Erina. His wife Letitia (nee' Brennan) died on 21 June, 1931. Both are buried at Holy Cross Cemetery, Kincumber South.